The importance of sleep
In years to come scientists and doctors might look back on this year and reveal some concerning statistics on how 2020 and the pandemic that took over our planet affected our mental health and wellbeing. Whilst we’re in the midst of the chaos it can be difficult to really grasp the toll this has taken on us all.
The beginning of spring is excellent timing to renew your promise to yourself to take better care of you. Exercise, eating right, taking time out, slowing down your pace – all of these are great areas of focus to make you feel better about everyday life.
What makes sleep so important?
Today, with some well informed guidance from our partners at A.H. Beard, we’re focusing on sleep and the important role it plays in taking care of you.
The amount of rest we get is closely linked to our psychological and emotional state and being well rested helps us to face the challenges life throw at us with resilience. Studies show that 4 in 10 Australians currently aren’t getting enough sleep – and this number has likely increased amidst the stress and uncertainty caused by our current climate.
Inadequate sleep wreaks havoc on our health, leaving us with a greater risk of developing depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions. Sleep is nature’s repair for the brain. Like our bodies, our brain needs rest and recovery to function at its best. Sleep—and in particular, REM sleep—repairs and maintains our brain, restoring it and preparing it for the day ahead.
“Sleep and good mental health go hand in hand, with research showing that people with sleep problems are more likely to develop significant mental health issues, including depression and anxiety, than those who sleep well,” A.H. Beard Sleep Expert, Dr Carmel Harrington said.
How to improve your sleep
Sleep is a key pillar of health, along with exercise, diet and mental wellbeing. While we can’t change what’s happening around us, there are a number of steps that we can take to improve sleep during this time.
- Create a sleep sanctuary: Our sleep sanctuary – that is our bed, bedroom and everything in it has a profound impact on how well you sleep. Ensure your room is cool (between 18°C – 22°C), comfortable, dark, free of clutter and peaceful
- Stay active, eat well: Move your body every day (even 15 minutes can help!) and avoid heavy meals before bed.
- Utilise relaxation techniques: Meditation, deep breathing, and yoga offer a range of benefits, from increased mental clarity to better quality of sleep.
- Set a digital curfew: The blue light emitted from technology can inhibit the production of melatonin, an important hormone that regulates sleep. Unplug 1-2 hours before going to bed to give your body and mind time to unwind.
- Speak to someone if you’re experiencing difficulties: A.H. Beard understand the importance of a good night’s sleep for overall mental wellbeing. That’s why they have partnered with Beyond Blue to bring awareness to the link between quality sleep and mental health. By purchasing an A.H. Beard mattress, you’re supporting Beyond Blue to help empower all Australians to achieve their best possible mental health. If you are experiencing mental health issues, it’s important to reach out. Organisations like Beyond Blue have a dedicated support service, where you can speak to a counselor or connect with others in the online community.
To read more about the link between quality sleep and mental health visit A.H. Beard’s blog on the topic.
Want to have a hotel-quality night’s rest every night? Crowne Plaza Perth has partnered with A.H Beard to present a competition prize of:
- Two nights for you and three friends in two interconnecting Queen River View rooms
- Bottle of sparkling on arrival Breakfast each morning
- Complimentary parking*
- Late check out of 1pm
- Crowne Plaza Queen Deluxe Pillowtop Mattress supplied by A.H. Beard valued at $1,408**
*Self-parking available for one car for the duration of two night’s on property.
** Delivery for Perth metro area only, pick up can be coordinated from Crowne Plaza Perth for outer region